BluEarth is a private company focused upon commercial-scale renewable energy development and operations. As an independent renewable power producer, our goal is to build, own, and operate sustainable wind, water, and solar generation projects. At BluEarth, we are developing and operating a portfolio of energy projects that optimizes people, planet, and profits.
We have The Power to Change the Future TM.
Our foundational values are:
Our organizational values are:
- Project Engineer (the “Engineer”)
Guelph, Ontario; with significant travel to project and plant sites as well as travel to support development and acquisition activities globally.
- Reports directly to the Director, Development and Construction (“Director”), or designate;
- Is a member of the Development and Construction Team.
Accountabilities and Key Functions
This position will be accountable for the successful implementation, management and coordination of civil, mechanical, geotechnical, and other technical engineering activities in all stages of a project’s lifecycle. The Engineer will support and work with the functional teams to ensure synchronization and precision in the delivery of the work. Additionally, the Engineer will support the transitioning of projects from development and construction into the operations (each as set out further below in “Key Functions”).
Projects will vary depending upon size, scope, schedule, geography, and development partners, requiring varied and flexible management approaches. Key Functions, which will continue to evolve, include:
- Coordinate and work with Director and/or Leads, Projects in managing and coordinating consultants and contractors including submittals, procurement, project reports, DBMs, RFIs/RFCs, surveying, risk management, schedules and budgets – all with the goal of delivering cost effective, timely, and regulatory compliant results;
- Coordinate internal and external review of project technical specifications and reports, design drawings, maps and blueprints, geotechnical investigations, summary of works, design and equipment specifications, and work and execution plans;
- Develop, write, and critically edit technical/engineering sections of reports, regulatory submissions, and presentations;
- Conduct and/or oversee on-site engineering reviews and conformance monitoring;
- Manage and coordinate project Quality Assurance and Quality Control in conjunction with Construction Management;
- Effective management and maintenance of relationships with industry regulators and service providers;
- Work with the Regulatory Team with regards to permitting and environmental requirements affecting design and project execution;
- Work with BluEarth’s functional teams, as well as other internal and external resources, the Engineer is accountable for the successful implementation, management, tracking, and administration of agreements, contracts, and other material documents related to this position;
- Proactive identification of barriers and implementation of strategies to overcome such barriers while working closely with all functional team members;
- Contribute towards continuous improvement of BluEarth’s engineering best practice processes as well as identifying new opportunities to improve project execution and operational efficiencies;
- Support the transition of projects from development and construction through operations, working with operations staff to oversee technical document control, storage, and timely communication of key information to operations staff;
- Assist operations staff on technical design, management, and execution of solar site maintenance or improvement projects;
- Uphold all aspects of BluEarth’s Health, Safety & Environmental policies, practices, and programs and work to ensure that all contracts and agreements are implemented and administered with the same care and requirements such that occupational accidents, injuries, and other hazards related to BluEarth’s activities are minimized and/or avoided;
- Uphold BluEarth’s values and consistently enhance the image and reputation of the Company;
- Such other acquisition, development, construction, and/or operational functions as the Company may reasonably require in connection with the pursuit of its goals.
As the position continues to evolve, and BluEarth advances its growth plan, modifications to the key functions and geographies set out herein are likely.
Education and Professional Status
- Degree in Civil Engineering, with subsequent preference to Mechanical or Electrical Engineering Degrees.
- Active permit to practice or licence as a Professional Engineer in good standing with a Canadian Professional Engineering association.
- Minimum 10 years of experience in a project/construction engineering role including design, construction, and operation activities, with at least 5 of those years actively managing solar projects, with preference given to experience in Ontario;
- Significant and successful hands-on engineering experience, with a demonstrated renewable power focus, in all aspects of project development through to operations;
- Experience in the construction industry with specific experience working with specialist consultants and contractors;
- Experience with provincial and federal regulatory agencies and permitting requirements in Ontario;
- Strong working knowledge of MS Office, including Word, Excel, and Projects, CAD, and document management systems.
Personal Characteristics & Skills
- Ability to proactively plan, schedule, track, monitor, and advance project activities, all supported by superior analytical and problem solving skills;
- Excellent contract management and administrative skills, possessing fluency in standard commercial contract language an competency reading, interpreting and enforcing contract terms
- Demonstrated efficiency in leading and providing project support on multiple, concurrent projects involving different functional teams with varying deadlines;
- Highly flexible and able to quickly adapt to changing priorities;
- Exceptional communication, and conflict/issue resolution skills, with the ability to proactively identify and strategically work to resolve challenging situations with confidence;
- Strong work ethic and high integrity;
- Ability to exercise independent judgement and discretion and have the confidence to ask questions to ensure clear and strategic action;
- Action-oriented, dedicated, and motivated;
- Ability to respond effectively and positively to obstacles and challenges, while earning the trust and respect of others;
- Capacity for a high attention to detail without losing sight of the big picture;
- Self-starter requiring limited supervision;
- Charismatic, fun, and has a sense of humour;
- Professional, diplomatic, and trustworthy;
- Passion and enthusiasm for both the position and BluEarth.
- Ability to travel within Canada and internationally;
- As required by a project’s lifecycle and operational requirements, ability to work extended hours;
- Valid driver’s licence;
- Work is generally carried out among an office environment, at project sites and operating plants, and outdoors (with exposure to various weather conditions);
- Work in close proximity to heavy, electrical, and rotating equipment.