BluEarth is a private company focused upon commercial-scale renewable energy development and operations. As an independent renewable power producer, our goal is to build, own, and operate sustainable wind, water, and solar generation projects. At BluEarth, we are developing and operating a portfolio of energy projects that optimizes people, planet, and profits. We have The Power to Change the Future TM.
Our foundational values are:
Our organizational values are:
Lead, Project Finance & Risk (“the Lead”)
Calgary, AB; national and international travel may be required.
- Reports directly to the Director, Finance
- Working closely with BluEarth’s functional groups (e.g., Finance, Origination & Development, Regulatory, Operations, and Engineering & Construction).
Accountabilities and Key Functions
The Lead will be responsible for negotiating and closing project financings for wind, hydro, and solar projects. This will include coordinating competitive processes, managing relationships with lenders, and leading due diligence by coordinating with legal counsel and a wide range of functional groups at BluEarth. The Lead, Finance will also coordinate functions related to the transactions after closing, including but not limited to refinancing, compliance reporting, and other requirements required by lenders on an ongoing basis. In addition, the Lead will also be responsible for any insurance procurement activities for projects under construction.
Key functions include:
- Arrange and close project financings, including management of competitive process for project finance on each project and coordination of all subsequent project finance activities;
- Lead the competition for and arrangement of construction insurance for projects under construction;
- Coordinate the review of insurance clauses within construction contracts;
- Lead the draw process under project financings required to support construction activity;
- Build and maintain relationships with a number of key third parties, including lenders, lawyers, accountants, independent engineers and advisory firms;
- Work collaboratively with Finance and Origination & Development teams to support model review processes;
- Provide regular support to Origination & Development on any financing terms to be included in bid models, and other support and analysis as needed;
- Work with operations and other key staff members to ensure compliance of all debt terms;
- Support Director, Finance and CFO in enterprise risk management activities;
- Upholds all aspects of BluEarth’s Environmental, Health, & Safety policies, practices, and programs;
- Uphold the company’s core values.
As the position continues to evolve, and BluEarth advances its growth plan, modification to the accountabilities, key functions, and geographies set out below is likely.
- University degree, preferably in Management, Business, or Finance, but consideration will be given to those that possess tangible and proven experience and skills;
- Credentials such as CA, CPA, CFA, and MBA are highly valued.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience with 2 years’ experience in project financing either for a Borrower or Lender;
- In depth understanding of project economic models;
- Hands-on experience with large scale project insurance;
- Proven experience on commercial transactions;
- Demonstrated ability to both formulate and execute strategy;
- Excellent coordination skills and demonstrated efficiency in providing support to multiple concurrent projects;
- Highly flexible and able to quickly adapt to changing priorities;
- Strong communications skills, both oral and written.
Personal Characteristics & Skills
- Strong work ethic and high integrity;
- Strategic thinker – able to prioritize and move easily from big picture thinking to detailed execution work;
- Skilled negotiator;
- Demonstrated leadership qualities including conflict/issue resolution;
- Action-oriented and able to work with and lead a team;
- Able to earn the trust of others;
- Persistent, dedicated, motivated, and a good sense of humour;
- Ability to work with minimal supervision;
- Professional, respectful, and charismatic;
- Exercises independent judgement and discretion in performing tasks.
- Achieve timely completion of project finance transactions at competitive market terms;
- Maintain market knowledge and actively prepare for future financing strategies;
- Provide support on acquisition bids and contribute to due diligence as required;
- Manage the existing debt portfolio in compliance with requirements under various credit agreements;
- Work collaboratively with other BluEarth groups to uphold and demonstrate the company’s values.
- Valid class 5 driver’s license;
- Able to travel across Canada and internationally.