BluEarth is a private company focused upon commercial-scale renewable energy development and operations. As an independent renewable power producer, our goal is to build, own, and operate sustainable wind, water, and solar generation projects. At BluEarth, we are developing and operating a portfolio of energy projects that optimizes people, planet, and profits. We have The Power to Change the Future TM.
Our foundational values are:
Our organizational values are:
- Reports directly to Chief Operating Officer, or designate;
- Works closely with all functional teams in the preparation of primary external communications material.
Accountabilities and Key Functions
This position will be accountable for the development, implementation, enhancement and management of BluEarth’s communication strategy and activities with the objective of contributing to the organizational strategic planning process and achievement of corporate goals. Key functions include:
- Develop and implement creative communication strategies that will allow BluEarth to cultivate and enhance its market presence and build meaningful relationships with targeted, high-level external audiences;
- Recommend short and long term communications plan that supports BluEarth’s strategy and goals;
- Responsible for achievement of communication and public relations mission, goals and financial objectives;
- Develop and manage a communication network to support the execution of the company communication strategy both on a corporate and project level;
- Act as an ambassador and spokesperson for the organization when dealing with external stakeholders such as media, journalists, project partners and stakeholders, landowners, government representatives and other such parties. This includes being on camera from time to time when BluEarth executives are not available;
- Manage communication activities that enhance and protect the company’s corporate image;
- Offer strategic insight and direction to leadership team and senior management regarding communication efforts;
- Play a key role in managing a crisis communications plan and in its implementation in certain circumstances;
- Mentor and develop staff regarding corporate communications using a supportive and collaborative approach;
- Oversee and develop varied communication methods including but not limited to: company website, newsletters and other print publications, press and news releases, online communications and social media, videos, letters to the editor, fact sheets, media and public relations, internal intranet, etc.;
- Work in partnership with different internal functional teams to drive the development and support the execution of project communication plans which facilitate and support constructive relations with key stakeholders including community members, Aboriginal communities/First Nations, government, etc.;
- Play a key role in planning, organizing and hosting external events such as public open houses, landowner functions, community events, project launch events, etc.;
- Manage communications budget, measure and report on success of communications efforts and strategies;
- Identify opportunities and lead efforts which achieve BluEarth’s corporate philanthropy objectives;
- Direct corporate advertising and event sponsorship;
- Manage suppliers and direct development of corporate graphics/brochures/presentations and other visual materials;
- Act in a hands-on capacity in all areas of corporate communication;
- Uphold all aspects of BluEarth’s Health, Safety & Environmental policies, practices, and programs – including the reflection of same in agreements and contracts;
- Uphold BluEarth’s values and consistently enhancing the image and reputation of the Company;
As the position continues to evolve, and BluEarth advances its growth plan, modifications to the key functions and geographies set out herein are likely.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Communications, Public Relations, Business or other related field.
- Minimum 7 years’ experience in a senior management role;
- Minimum of 15 years’ experience in a communications role in the energy, resource development, or related business sectors;
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in planning, writing, editing and production of newsletters, press releases, annual reports, marketing literature and other print publications and directories;
- Experience designing and executing high-level and complex tactical communications strategies;
- Demonstrated experience and skill in radio and television interviews and at press conferences;
- Demonstrated experience and leadership in developing and leading a comprehensive strategic communications and media relations program to advance organization’s mission and goals;
- Extensive and successful writing and editing experience with a variety of print and online communications media;
- Experience in initiating and managing international cross-cultural and/or multi-lingual communication initiatives, considered an asset;
- Experience with corporate philanthropy and community investment programs;
- Familiarity with renewable energy and general energy policy in Canada.
- Successful experience working in a communications role with both rural and urban audiences in Canada.
Personal Characteristics & Skills
- Demonstrated skill and comfort in proactively building relationships with external stakeholders to advance corporate goals;
- Expert level written and oral communication, with an awareness of and ability to adaptively use different communications styles to effectively engage with a variety of audiences
- Strong critical thinking skills, with the ability to identify and effectively utilize resources and good judgement to solve problems;
- Ability to proactively react to rapidly changing business conditions and provide creative insight on how new media technologies can be utilized;
- Ability to take lead, work independently and/or be a team player, as required under various circumstances;
- Proven ability to manage sensitive information with diplomacy, confidentiality, and a sense of discretion;
- Superior organizational skills and attention to detail;
- Proven ability to remain calm under pressure and effectively prioritize work flow, office needs, and coordinate various activities simultaneously;
- Displays professionalism and strong ethics, is reliable and trustworthy;
- Highly motivated, engaging, and flexible;
- Ability to effectively use web development software such as Word Press (or similar);
- Passionate about contributing to a positive work environment and development of company culture;
- Enthusiasm for both the position and BluEarth’s initiatives and vision.
- Ability to travel within Canada and internationally;
- Valid Class 5 driver’s license;
- Ability to work outside regular working hours as required.