BluEarth is a private company focused upon commercial-scale renewable energy development and operations. As an independent renewable power producer, our goal is to build, own, and operate sustainable wind, hydro, and solar generation projects. At BluEarth, we are developing and operating a portfolio of energy projects that optimizes people, planet, and profits.
We have The Power to Change the Future TM.
Our foundational values are:
Our organizational values are:
Development & Land Coordinator
Calgary, Alberta; with occasional travel to project sites and participating communities as well as potential travel to support development and acquisition activities.
- Reports directly to the Director, Business Development & Land (the “Director”), or designate;
- Is a member of the Origination & Development functional team.
Accountabilities and Key Functions
This position will be accountable for the successful implementation, management, tracking, and administration of land agreements and land related functions. Projects will vary depending upon size, scope, schedule, and geography, requiring varied and flexible approaches to project management, land, development and development strategy.
The position also includes coordination of contracts and various processes within the Origination and Development team.
Key functions of this position include:
- Identify and manage overall land and contract dependencies and ensure these project and plant deliverable elements stay on-time and on-budget;
- Ensure the timely and accurate payment of options and lease amounts to various landowners, as well as providing other notifications and contractual requirements;
- Proactively identify gaps in land holdings, such as option expiry or document deficiencies and coordinate any required remedy;
- Create strong and open relationships with various landowners and act as a point of contact for any inquiries and/or concerns;
- Coordinate and process, with support from the Director, all property tax filings, appeals and payments;
- Support the Origination & Development team in managing a wide range of acquisition and pre-project development activities, including but not limited to:
- Qualifying BluEarth in public processes, submitting bids in tender processes, seeking new creative power purchase agreement opportunities and directing activities on greenfield projects that potentially feed into tender processes;
- Involvement in requests for proposals, due diligence efforts, and general advancement of project execution.
- Contribute towards continuous improvement of BluEarth’s origination & development best practice processes, as well as identify new opportunities to improve project execution and operational efficiencies;
- Uphold all aspects of BluEarth’s Health, Safety & Environmental policies, practices, and programs and work to ensure that all contracts and agreements are implemented and administered with the same care and requirements such that occupational accidents, injuries, and other hazards related to BluEarth’s activities are minimized and/or avoided;
- Uphold BluEarth’s values and consistently enhance the image and reputation of the Company;
- Such other acquisition, development, construction, and/or operational functions as the Company may reasonably require in connection with the pursuit of its goals.
As the position continues to evolve, and BluEarth advances its growth plan, modifications to the key functions and geographies set out herein are likely.
- Degree, diploma, or certificate, in land, law, or project management similar education in a related field is strongly preferred.
- Demonstrable land management experience is a necessity;
- At least 3 years’ experience in coordinating land agreements within the energy industry;
- Experience in coordinating property tax within the energy industry;
- Experience in coordinating due diligence in the electrical energy industry;
- Renewable energy experience is highly sought and preferred
- Possess excellent, hands-on project management skills and demonstrated efficiency in providing project development support on multiple concurrent projects.
Characteristics & Skills
- Highly flexible and able to quickly adapt to changing priorities;
- Ability to proactively plan, schedule, track, monitor, and advance project activities;
- Possess excellent contract management and administrative skills and demonstrated efficiency in leading and providing project support on multiple, concurrent projects;
- Willingness to learn standard commercial contract language to eventually become comfortable reading, interpreting and enforcing contract terms;
- Demonstrated efficiency in providing project development support on multiple, concurrent projects involving different functional teams with varying deadlines;
- Exceptional communication, and conflict/issue resolution skills, with the ability to proactively identify and strategically work to resolve challenging situations with confidence;
- Ability to respond effectively and positively to obstacles and challenges, while earning the trust and respect of others;
- Ability to exercise independent judgement and discretion and have the confidence to ask questions to ensure clear and strategic action;
- Self-starter requiring limited supervision;
- Knowledge of MS Office, including Project, Word, Excel, and document management systems;
- Action-oriented, dedicated, and deliberate;
- Strong work ethic and high integrity;
- Charismatic, fun, and has a sense of humour; and
- Passion and enthusiasm for both the position and BluEarth.
- Ability to travel within Canada and internationally as required;
- As required by a project’s lifecycle and operational requirements, ability to work outside regular business hours;
- Valid Class 5 driver’s license;
- Work is generally carried out among an office environment, at remote project development and greenfield sites and operating plants, and outdoors (with exposure to various weather conditions);
- Work in close proximity to heavy, electrical, and rotating equipment.