BluEarth is a private company focused upon commercial-scale renewable energy development and operations. As an independent renewable power producer, our goal is to build, own, and operate sustainable wind, water, and solar generation projects. At BluEarth, we are developing and operating a portfolio of energy projects that optimizes people, planet, and profits. We have The Power to Change the Future TM.
Our foundational values are:
Our organizational values are:
Electrical Engineer (the “Engineer”) – 14 month maternity leave coverage contract term.
Calgary Alberta, with travel to project and plant sites as well as travel to support development and acquisition activities globally.
- Reports directly to the EVP, Development & Construction, or designate;
- Member of the Development & Construction Team.
Accountabilities and Key Functions
This position provides engineering and SCADA/communications support for projects throughout their entire lifecycle. The Engineer will have a demonstrable, hands-on electrical engineering experience, and solid understanding of SCADA/ communications, as related to renewable energy projects along with interconnection of projects to the associated electrical grid.
Projects will vary in technology (wind, water, solar), size, scope, schedule, geography, and development partners, requiring diverse and flexible solutions-oriented approaches. Key functions, which will continue to evolve, include:
- Work with Directors and Leads in managing and coordinating consultants and contractors including submittals, procurement, reports, DBMs, RFIs/RFCs, risk management, schedules and budgets – all with the goal of supporting the delivery of cost effective, timely, and regulatory compliant project results;
- Accountability for development of preliminary electrical designs for new projects from concept through to issuance of drawings, including preparation of drawings using AutoCAD software, reviewing and conducting load flow studies using SKM electrical modelling software, and preparing balance of plant cost estimates;
- Prepare and manage interconnection applications for plant connection to the area electrical grid and work with ISOs, TFOs, and DFOs on safe and compliant operation of facilities;
- Develop, write, and critically edit technical reports and specifications, procurement documents, design drawings, and work and execution plans, as well as coordinate internal and external review of same;
- Conduct technical reviews of major electrical contracts including interconnection agreements, cost recovery agreements, and equipment supply and installation agreements;
- Design and implement plant data communications including SCADA, internet, voice, and security;
- Conduct and/or oversee on-site engineering reviews, conformance monitoring, and assist with start-up and commissioning of new facilities;
- Support the development and implementation of generator performance test programs to validate vendor performance guarantees;
- Provide engineering support for due diligence activities;
- Work with BluEarth functional teams, and internal and external resources, to ensure safe, reliable, and improved operation of facilities with a focus on electrical systems, grid interconnection, and communications – including compliance with NERC, WECC and related compliance standards;
- Proactive identification of barriers to projects or initiatives, development and implementation of strategies to overcome such barriers, while working closely with all functional team members;
- Contribute towards continuous improvement of BluEarth’s engineering best practice processes as well as identifying new opportunities to improve project execution and operational efficiencies;
- Uphold all aspects of BluEarth’s Health, Safety & Environmental policies, practices, and programs and work to ensure that all contracts and agreements are implemented and administered with the same care and requirements such that occupational accident, injuries, and other hazards related to BluEarth’s activities are minimized and/or avoided; and
- Uphold BluEarth’s values and consistently enhance the image and reputation of the Company; and
- Such other acquisition, development, construction, and/or operational functions as the Company may reasonably required in connection with the pursuit of its goals.
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering.
- Active permit to practice or licence as a Professional Engineer in good standing with a Canadian Professional Engineering association.
- Minimum 8 years engineering experience in the renewable energy industry (specifically related to wind, hydro, and solar);
- Significant and successful hands-on electrical engineering experience, with demonstrated proficiencies in high voltage electrical systems (including transformer stations, interconnections, collector systems, grounding, and power houses) and communications/SCADA;
- Experience with provincial, federal, and North American regulatory agencies and associated processes; and
- Strong working knowledge of MS Office (including Word, Excel, and Projects), CAD, SKM, and document management systems.
Personal Characteristics & Skills
- Ability to proactively plan, schedule, track, monitor, and advance project activities, all supported by superior analytical and problem solving skills;
- Excellent contract management and administrative skills, possessing fluency in standard commercial contract language an competency reading, interpreting and enforcing contract terms
- Demonstrated efficiency in leading and providing project support on multiple, concurrent projects involving different functional teams with varying deadlines;
- Highly flexible and able to quickly adapt to changing priorities;
- Exceptional communication, and conflict/issue resolution skills, with the ability to proactively identify and strategically work to resolve challenging situations with confidence;
- Strong work ethic and high integrity;
- Ability to exercise independent judgement and discretion and have the confidence to ask questions to ensure clear and strategic action;
- Action-oriented, dedicated, and motivated;
- Ability to respond effectively and positively to obstacles and challenges, while earning the trust and respect of others;
- Capacity for a high attention to detail without losing sight of the big picture;
- Self-starter requiring limited supervision;
- Charismatic, fun, and has a sense of humour;
- Professional, diplomatic, and trustworthy;
- Passion and enthusiasm for both the position and BluEarth.
- Ability to actively travel within Canada and internationally;
- As required by a project’s lifecycle and operational requirements, ability to work extended hours;
- Valid driver’s licence;
- Work is generally carried out among an office environment, at project sites and operating plants, and outdoors (with exposure to various weather conditions); and
- Work in close proximity to heavy, electrical, and rotating equipment.